WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR AWARDS
The 2009 World Car of the Year winners have been announced!
World Car of the Year
World Car Design of the Year
World Performance Car
World Green Car
Please refer to the menu on the right for links to the Award Photos and Voting Results.
The 2009 World Car of the Year Awards are now officially launched.
The inaugural World Car title was first handed out in 2005 to the Audi A6.
The 2006 World Car was the BMW 3-Series while the Lexus
LS460 took the honour of being the 2007 World Car of the Year.
Last year's 2008 World Car of the Year was the Mazda2/Mazda Demio.
Following is a critical path leading to the 2009 winners' press conference at the New York International Auto Show in April 2009..
· New jurors nominated to join their colleagues for 2009 term.
· Nomination of candidates for the World Car and World Performance Car categories. Design candidates are taken from the World Car list. World Green Car is handled separately.
· List of 2009 candidates for World Car and World Performance Car established and distributed to jurors and OEMs.
June - January 2008
· Jurors test-drive World Car and World Performance Car candidates
· Nomination of candidates for the World Green Car category
· Final list of 2009 World Green Car candidates established and distributed to jurors and OEMs
January 7 – 16, 2009
· First round of voting to determine the Top Ten World Car and World Performance Car finalists.
January 23, 2009: Top Ten World Car and World Performance Car finalists announced.
February 23 - 27, 2009:
a. World Car of the Year
· Final round of voting on finalists to determine winners for:
b. World Green Car
c. World Performance Car
d. World Design of the Year
March 9, 2009: Top Three finalists in all categories announced.
April 9, 2009 : All World Car award winners announced at the New York International Auto Show.